Job Level: Mid Level / Senior Level
Salary Range: $120,000.00 - $150,000.00
Department Head Electrical
Leading comprehensive engineering design and consulting firm providing innovative solutions for clients with facility and infrastructure challenges. To achieve client needs, firm has multiple locations across the United States. Working with a diverse group of individuals in a variety of markets, our team of experts partner with our clients to deliver advanced solutions that last.
Committed to providing opportunities and benefits to colleagues that promote living fully. Through various competitive benefits and programs available, firm supports the health, well-being, and personal growth of its employees. Offering benefit options including medical, dental, and vision coverage, a generous contribution to employee-owned Health Savings Account, 401k with matching up to the maximum allowable, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other employee incentives and wellness programs
The Electrical Department Head provides department management and technical direction in an engineering discipline within an office. Responsible for staff management, production scheduling, and technical quality for the design discipline within the office. Ensures all engineering products, initiatives, and processes conform to the organization’s established policies and objectives.
- Performs resource management duties for the department such as weekly man hour assignments and allocation
- Manages the staffing levels and utilization of the department by tracking department performance statistics, maintaining communication with team members, and facilitating employee reallocation
- Interfaces with client relationship managers (CRMs) and project managers (PMs) to determine specific project staffing needs and discuss staff performance successes and areas for improvement
- Assures that design engineering services are commensurate with professional standards, client requirements, and corporate objectives
- Maintains knowledge of new technical developments in the discipline and assists technical leaders in the dispersion of this knowledge
- Oversees and guides project teams in carrying out design and engineering tasks
- Responsible for the technical quality of work performed within the department, overseeing the technical staff’s implementation of project QAQC plans developed by project managers
- Reviews unusual or complex design problems and provides guidance for their solution
- In collaboration with other department heads, establishes expectations and processes to achieve effective inter-discipline coordination and communication
- Resolves disputes and conflicts that develop within the department or with other departments, working on process improvement to alleviate future disputes
- Approves timesheets and expense reports per company policies and project allocations
- Evaluates the performance of technical staff and provides salary and bonus recommendations
- Leads the recruitment, selection, and development of engineers and designers for the discipline
- Maintains technical expertise within the department through technical training, including facilitating development through internal department training
- Coordinates standards with Technical Resource Group and ensures adoption of standards by staff
- Communicates and interacts with clients and vendors
- Performs senior engineer and project manager responsibilities on projects as needed
- Ability to meet with architects and other team members to determine appropriate electrical systems, location of electrical elements, and preliminary cost estimates.
- Perform appropriate field work to determine design direction, including evaluation of existing electrical components for re-use and retrofit.
- Work with architects, clients, and other engineering disciplines to coordinate systems during design and production drawings.
- Ability to prepare contract documents using latest version of AutoCad and/or Revit software to design and provide concepts for schematic design packages.
- Ability to develop technical construction specifications to appropriately support project design and drawings.
- Prepare design development and construction documents, including coordination with engineering team.
- Ability to oversee, and mentor, less experienced engineering and architectural team.
- Assist in electrical construction administration of the project, including shop drawing review, site visits, cost proposal evaluations, and response to questions from the field.
- Strong written and communication skills are a must with the ability to multi-task – working on simultaneous project assignments, each in different phases.
- Excellent client interface capabilities and organizational skills.
- Enthusiasm and eagerness for continued education and development of new skills.
University – Bachelor’s Degree/3-4 Year Degree – Electrical Engineering
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering
- 10+ year’s experience in a consulting engineering firm or
- 15+ years of applicable experience in electrical design.
- Must have a Registered Professional Engineer
- Management experience a plus
- Revit MEP experience a plus
- Large commercial experience a plus
- 3+ years of experience managing projects from small to large scope and complexity
- An expert within the discipline of his/her expertise
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer
- 10+ years of experience designing electrical power, lighting, fire alarm and low voltage building systems
- US Citizenship or Green Card required
Note: A FREE Membership or Above is Required to express intrest in working for our clients. If you have not yet logged in you may do so here.